Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Homecoming...

"strange how certain the journey
time unfolds the petals for our eyes to see
strange how this journey's hurting
in ways we accept as part of fate's decree

so we just hold on fast
acknowledge the past
as lessons exquisitely crafted
painstakingly drafted
to carve us as instruments
that play the music of life..."
~Vienna Teng, "Eric's Song"

"How do you pick up the threads of an old life? How do you go on, when in your heart you begin to understand there is no going back?"~Frodo Baggins

Home. It's funny how family never really seems to change (though little brothers do tend to get bigger), remaining the great constant in my universe; almost four months absent bleeds away like a short trip when I see them at the airport, and we pick up right where we left off.
My parents and I went to Johanna's baptism on Sunday (the next day). I don't think she was expecting me, and standing waist high in water she gave me a smile when our eyes met. Her testimony was elegant and honest simplicity. Wouldn't have missed it for the world.
We also met up with Emily (Ward) there, and afterward she, Johanna and I, joined by Elizabeth McDaniels and Matt Elmore (!one of the last people I expected to see, and one of the best surprises of the weekend) wandered around downtown Rockford for the evening. A good day.
My first day back on campus yesterday, running errands and seeing many, many friends. Also a quick rehearsal for Willows. Cornerstone family: come next Tuesday at 7pm; amongst other things, possibly the last chance you will have to see me act.

In my own way, I know that Frodo was right. You can never really "go home" again, not to the home you left behind. Things change, times move on, and the cliche is true: you can never step in the same river twice. If nothing else, we have changed. And how can we express it? How do you answer "How was England?" We have seen the dreaming spires, slept in the Bodleian, walked the parks, and toasted or cursed the great men that came before. We have cooked, studied, played, walked, slept, lived alongside one another every day for fourteen weeks, brothers and sisters in arms, to the end. How do you explain an experience like that? It's like trying to describe the color "blue."

Once more into the breach, dear friends, once more...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear friend.

How appropriate your quote. Though we can't comprehend your experience, we can experience you as you are now, understanding that we can't understand, but just rejoicing in the growth, beauty, and knowledge you've been given.

For now, let us traipse the land of Rockford, exploring graveyards, playgrounds, listen to your laugh, and just "be". :-)

~Elizabeth Joy~

Anonymous said...

Brian, I already find your whole post so entirely appropriate, and I've only been home for about 12 hours now. Yesterday I was in Oxford again after 2 weeks on the continent, drawn back by the "dreaming spires" and the promise of luggage waiting at Anna's friends' house. It was strange though...full of students, but devoid of friends, at least of the SCIO variety. hmm...musings. Hope you are doing well. :)
Emily O.

Anonymous said...

so, recent graduates do update, right? I'm sure you have no time to do anything else... (=
chelle

Anonymous said...

Reading the homecoming posts terrify me. At least yours recognize that we carry our memories with us. As I get ready to go back 'home' to Oxford for another week, I can't help but fear I'll be looking for you and the rest on Cornmarket or walking through Mesopotamia, showing my parents the bridges you so kindly walked me across... I have to ask though... is it you that has changed or the homefront itself?
~Kat

Anonymous said...

Katrina- where are you? What is your email address?
Sorry to use you so, Brian.
-Chell

Anonymous said...

Major site revamp...I like it. I also fell into the trap of creaiting a Xanga site just to comment...however, then I was sucked in...
~Emily O.

Anonymous said...

I don't care what you say, I'm convinced you no longer attend Church of the Redeemer...and after you converted me...such a shame...

:)

~ Katie

Anonymous said...

By the way, I think you're still running on English time, because it's a little closer to 10:30 pm than it is to 3:30 am right now.

~ Katie